Friday, April 22, 2016

Projects. Projects. Projects.

      Dear Blog readers. Thank you for your attention and patience of waiting for new blog posts.
Talking honestly, I forgot it for some time. I keep myself very busy with studies and big projects in my garden. Now I will talk about main two projects that change garden face a little but for all time.
When we moved here in 2014 I thought that this property is big enough for all my needs and dreams. However, I get insufficiently of land. After some talks with neighbors we decided to fit all plants in our actual garden and do not worry about other needs. And we decided to get rid of iris circle project. That big round lawn part look really attractive and I can say this give some powerful effect to garden. But I need some more land for daylilies. My main project of hybridizing and selecting the best of what I can.
 I still keep idea of round shape and make reflecting beds. I keep all beds with irises and fill empty gaps with perennial plants. I have lost several varieties and couple seedlings of irises. So some extra place for miniature daylilies or other lovely perennials I like. Soil is bad. I have discussed about it several times before. And lawn is full of moss and weeds. So we simply decided to dig it all. Some part move to other project (I will talk about it a little bit later) and others go to compost. After that add some new top soil, form lawn grass path, also round in perimeter of iris circle now. And just for few steps wide. And then form beds for daylily seedlings, that I will be planting this June.
 I can honestly say, that time of digging grass in spring is very important. As soon we make this, the easier it will be. In early days of spring, lawn grass just start to grow. Roots are not so strong and get out of the soil easy. But later it is harder and harder.
 We take pieces of lawn upside down for some reasons. That keep grass out of light and start killing weeds, also, it help to dry them up and when we take some part of soil get back to place.
Here is way more than half done. Seriously hard when grass turn so big and green.


Our second project, or how we call - First. Because it was must for when we moved here. Woodshed renewing. But we decided to demolish it and start from scratch.

 Situation photos. It is pity to show them for you all. But only in this way I can show all the work. It is made out of lots of thing. Metal railway rails, wood, some other metals and other things people usually do not use for such building.
 After demolition all view look like this. Really empty. And lots of pieces of shed. Wood we cut and later will warm our house in fireplace or reuse for building new one.
 There is still some wood left. So we arrange them close to wall and later move to new one. And demolish this wall.

 And here it goes. It is smaller and build closer to other building. So we save lots of space around.
 In front of this picture you can see grass pieces from circle project. There soon will be shade garden and they form nice base layer. Give nutrients and compost and add layer of new soil.
Style of it will be the same as other, close to it. Same wood and later will be painted in green. I wanted for some grey colors, but green look nice too. For shade bed I place some logs for edge. So it will be easier to maintain this huge bed.


And here projects go one by one. Third big project for this year is hedge.
 This part of garden is close to house and it is like main entrance to garden where all the magic happens. So I wanted like entrance to garden and to cover neighbors distracting view. They used to sit outside very often and we felt uncomfortable with that. So our decision was to plant bigger hedge.
 We drive to my friend with rented trailer and get 20 Thuja occidentalis seedlings. Out of column type mother plant. Yes, I know that seedlings didn't look same as mother plant. But I wanted fast and not so expensive hedge. Later I can form it in any way I wish. And I have few ideas for that. So if I made it, will show you all. That is view from trailer. Packed close, but safe. And there is other nice plant to my garden - Calycanthus fertilis. It's wood smell very nice. A little spicy, but nice. Also have interesting blooms, that I saw in Italy few years ago. This is hardy enough for my garden. So take it without any worries.
 And here is main view from yesterday work. We dig them out, move and plant in the same day. So huge work done. But worth it all. From this picture you can see entrance to garden (gap of hedge) and lots of trees planted. That wood will be used to shed later. By the way this is other wall of it.
This area has other function, so I wanted to divide it from main garden too. There will not grow any perennials or other mixed things. Because there will go wood in future to shed or other handy works outside. But I try to keep this area as clean as possible for nice entrance to garden.
There you can see more clear what part of garden it is. In back is gates and entrance to property. So not the best view from garden. Maybe later this hedge grow big enough and I can make arch here for stronger focus point.

I presented all 3 projects of this year. So you all can understand what I do and why do not write here. Later will show some progress updates of projects and maybe soon they all will be done.
Going back to exam material at studies. Need to end the best before internship.

Edvinas

1 comment:

  1. You make me tired just thinking about all you have to do! Fortunately for you, youth is one your side! I am having a new daylily seedling/breeder bed put in at a new location and will have space in it for some vegetables (tomatoes, peppers and maybe cucumber) as well as a few other perennials I am growing from seed (aliums, Dwarf Iris [from a bee pod off of LUMALITE] and a couple hundred Iris domestica, commonly known here as Blackberry Lilies, except that these will not have spots (unless I grabbed the wrong seeds), as these were seed collected from a red/yellow one. Also have a few new DL seedlings coming along and so far only 2 of the TBS Iris (cross) seed have emerged, hoping for more. I plan to be moving over a number of the 2015 seedlings and many of the breeding plants from the old "Borrowed Garden", but that may not be until next season, depending on what I am able to get done. Also hoping to get a few more DL seedlings (second and perhaps third generation seedling from Antanas, if we are allowed to do so. I am hoping to be able to incorporate these breeding lines with what I have been getting. If not, I do have a few from the first generation he has grown out.

    Good luck with all of your summer projects and if you find some extra energy, please send it to me!

    ReplyDelete