Sunday, September 4, 2016

Webster's Pink Wonder

My observation about this variety and few seedlings I have.
 Webster's Pink Wonder (Webster-Cobb, 2003) Semi-Evergreen, Tetraploid. Noted in database, that is has 5 buds with 3 branches. So maybe they thought 15 buds... On one I have 11 buds and on other 13. So not the worse.
Webster's Pink Wonder is amazing variety. In all meanings. But most important - size. 13 inches (33 cm). In my garden it usually reach at least 28 cm. Record was 36 cm. Imagine that... And my plant is just two years old from single fan that I get last spring. So still young.
Lots of discussion already done about this variety. From AHS jury it lead to Honorable Mention in 2009, Award of Merit in 2012 and most important, and very special: Stout Silver Medal in 2014. Lots of great things done with it. So it worth all of that, because of strong impact in daylily world. Personally I would call it necessary variety for each gardener who love daylilies. Size is mater, no mater what.

But what about hybridizers... It is worth try too. It hardly set pods, if people have some luck. It is not so easy as pollen parent either, but really worth a try. I got some seeds with Webster's Pink Wonder as pollen parent.

Seedlings:

Windham Aphrodite's Nighty x Webster's Pink Wonder (seeds from AHS International Seed Bank) [*all seedlings from same cross]
Pale color. Higher than all other seedlings.

*
Richer in color, with fine shape. Sadly it is not strong enough. Lots of blooms damaged by wind...

*
Eye catcher. All garden visitors start to form a line to get it. I could just agree, it is special. Such a nice color stand from others.

*
Well, this is my goal from cross. From first glace it look like usual seedling. But some blooms show up bigger bearding in eye zone. More or less, but each bloom have something. Note, that this is not like special dip's of B.Best, but for me this was surprise. Only give more mystery to this trait.

*
This is the same seedling with beard inside. More on this bloom.

They are all fertile. I got almost all crosses resulted with pod. And big pods with really nice size seeds. Main problem with those seedlings is - wind damage. A little stronger wind, than summer breeze break petals of them. Almost all. If stronger winds - then I found just few sepals, or just pistil with stamens. So they should be planted in more protected place. But I will not release any of them, because I try to fix this issue with some line breading. Webster's Pink Wonder didn't get damages after such wind. Just strong wind break few petals. But that is normal.
I wish to see other seedlings with Webster's Pink Wonder genetics that got from AHS International Bank. And my own crosses made in last year. Usually I wait for at least 3 years to see my own seedlings bloom. So not very fast. However, it is all worth those years.

Edvinas

No comments:

Post a Comment